Monday, June 21, 2010

Exercising at the Playground

I’ve been super stressed lately. Luckily, I’ve been able to get to the Y for a walk on the treadmill or free-weights. It’s so convenient to have the gym next door to Tootie’s school… it’s hard to make excuses why I shouldn’t stop in, even for a few minutes to do something.

There were a few weeks that I didn’t make it into the gym at all. Another convenience of the Weinberg Y is the huge playground right across the parking lot. After school, Tootie and I would stop over for “only ten minutes” and manage to stay on the playground for about 40 minutes. One school friend turned into two, to three, then what felt like half her class was on the playground with us.

I sat and chatted with the parents - always good to be in the company of folks who know what you’re going through. And of course, there’s the requisite swing pushing, slide waiting, and monkey bar lifting that every parent has to do. Those days made me feel just as relaxed as my workouts.

So, maybe I should give myself more credit. Each day, I (we), do something at the gym to relieve stress. Sometimes it’s structured and indoors. Other times, it’s whatever happens on the playground. Gotta love the Y and the diversity of exercise it offers!

Posted by Angie Kirk, Y Preschooler Parent, Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Family Center Y

No comments:

Post a Comment