Monday, June 14, 2010

Finding a New Passion!

I have a friend, Michelle, whose life is interesting – she has a husband with an extremely demanding and time consuming job. A son, Jackson, who is nine, extremely loyal to his family, loves beaches and outdoor activities and has every support need possible. He needs support to eat, drink, dress, etc. He also has seizures about every 15 minutes. Michelle’s second child is Chloe. She is six and very very spirited. She loves to ask lots and lots of questions, loves shoes and is five going on 19. The last of Michelle’s children is Haley. Haley loves to give the thumbs up, has a contagious smile, is four and happens to have an extra chromosome – commonly known as Down syndrome.

Michelle called one day to ask if I would do the Iron Girl (a swim, bike, run triathlon) with her. I had no idea what is was, but replied, “Absolutely” – which is how I respond to anything Michelle asks me. I didn’t have a bathing suit or a bike. Last year was my first Iron Girl and I fell in love with the event.

I thank Michelle for the wonderful gift she gave me. I also thank the Y staff who coached me along all through my training – encouraged me to stay on the treadmill when I wanted to get out, urged me back into the pool when I thought I was done and who cleared lanes for me to practice when the pool was full. The Y staff and members listened to my fears and encouraged me – they were even there the day of the event. Without Michelle’s invitation and the Y family’s encouragement and support, I would not have discovered this new passion!!

Posted by Jessica Pearsall, Fitness Instructor, Dancel Family Center Y

3 comments:

  1. Hi, is this Jessica from yesterday's Sprint? If so, this is Jewel and I've been looking for you all over the internet, on FB and everywhere all day.
    I want..no, I need to thank you. If this is you, reply back and I will send you my email and maybe you can send me your phone number or email. I have to thank you for what you did for me.
    Jewel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found me!!! Now give me your story for my next Y blog!!! Hugs, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica. Hugs back to you. Our story is also on FB on Columbia Triathlon Association's page.

    ReplyDelete